[Coco] Linux RBF filesystem support

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Tue Oct 21 08:48:15 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 07:48 -0400, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Boisy Pitre wrote:

> The threaded model always sounds good on
> paper, but it can be pathologically complex to assure correctness and
> avoid deadlocks and race conditions.

Eh, mostly due to the fact that most programmers don't seem to grok that
threads are useful but should be used sparingly.  Seems, too, that some
newer synchronization schemes (e.g., serializing tokens) are completely
ignored.  We're still in a mutex/condition-variable world.

> I've done a reasonably large amount of cross-platform coding in my day and
> find that with contemporary ANSI compliant compilers, C and C++ are at
> least as portable as Java applications if you stay away from questionable
> constructs.  More so, if you take into account that the language is not a
> moving target.

I have to agree on this one; I haven't actually done too much poking
under the hood with Toolshed and I am at a loss for where the system
dependencies might lie, aside from word order and word size (and those
are straightforward to cope with).

Heh, I still think that C++ is a bit of a moving target.  The compiler
implementations are far more varied in my experience, requiring that one
keeps to a subset and allow for wide behavioral differences.  As such
I'm not a huge fan and would rather use Ada for very large, complex
systems.  (Hey, did I ever mention that I dated Bjarne's secretary's
niece for a few years?  Claim to fame!)

C.