[Coco] Linux RBF filesystem support

Boisy Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Mon Oct 20 22:17:01 EDT 2008

This discussion highlights one of the reasons ToolShed was developed
the way it was.  As a command-line, user state utility written in C,
it could be easily ported from OS to OS.  FUSE puts ToolShed pretty
much on par with a filesystem module like the RBF filesystem, so we
have the best of both worlds.

I have been considering taking ToolShed into a new direction:
rewriting it in Java.  Right now the pain of having to cross compile
and juggle different versions for different platforms is a headache.
Porting ToolShed to Java would eliminate this (though this would break
FUSE support).  Perhaps just porting tools like rma/rlink to Java
would be a start.  I have already started a from-scratch write of RMA
in Java.

Regards,
Boisy G. Pitre
--