[Coco] Linux RBF filesystem support

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Mon Oct 20 11:29:01 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 11:14 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:04:11AM -0400, Chuck Youse wrote:

> > I love how a minor minor rev change in Linux means API breakage.
>
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt
>
> If you want a stable API, get your code merged in the kernel or
> implement it in userland instead -- hence my FUSE suggestion. :-)

Whichever ass-hat wrote that document isn't writing it for me:

Executive Summary
19	You think you want a stable kernel interface, but you really do not, and
20	you don't even know it.  What you want is a stable running driver, and
21	you get that only if your driver is in the main kernel tree.  You also
22	get lots of other good benefits if your driver is in the main kernel
23	tree, all of which has made Linux into such a strong, stable, and mature
24	operating system which is the reason you are using it in the first
25	place.

Total horseshit.  And for the record, the main reason why so many people use Linux is because so many other people use Linux.  It's as simple as that.

C.