[Coco] f83 for the 6809 -- It'a Alive!

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 14:33:56 EDT 2008

On 10/17/08, tim lindner wrote:

> .... with DSKCON comes a large portion of BASIC and
> it's overhead. Whenever I imagine I'm in a position like Brett, I'm
> always ripping DSKCON from the ROM and make it independant.

What "large portion of BASIC and it's overhead" are you referring to Tim?

The Tandy versions of DSKCON are almost completely self-contained.
Other than 2 calls to a short delay-loop subroutine in COLOR BASIC at
$A7D1, there is no reliance on any other BASIC routines.

Tandy's DSKCON does require use of the following RAM addresses:
008A - 008B:  Assumes these two bytes are always zero
00EA - 00F0:  The documented DSKCON parameter block
0109 - 010B:  NMI Vector (jumps to Disk Basic's service routine)
097E - 0986:  Variables  (TRKTBL,NMIFLG,DNMIVC,RDYTMR,DRGRAM)

Other implementations of DSKCON such as those used in RGBDOS / HDBDOS
and DriveWire may have different requirements that I am not aware of.

Darren