[Coco] Rainbow IDE 2.0 in progress

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Oct 12 21:43:42 EDT 2008

At 07:04 PM 9/28/2008, you wrote:
>Roger Taylor wrote:
>><snip>
>>I still need to locate some kind of 32-bit C compiler or PASCAL
>>compiler that CCASM or one of the other Rainbow 1.x supported
>>assemblers can handle so I can start working on some productive
>>compile/assemble sessions.
>
>Is there anything in the GNU package that you could use?
>
>http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/

Somehow I missed replying to this.  As long as a 6809 compiler
outputs decent 6809 assembler source, CCASM would probably crunch
it.  If it chokes on a few psuedo ops , adding support won't be that hard.

It's the linker support in my Rainbow IDE that has gone unsupported
so far because I haven't found a 32-bit Windows console 6809 cross
compiler.  The language doesn't have to be C.  I'll add support for
the first language I encounter that outputs decent 6809
assembly.  Pascal, or even an unpopular compiler language is fine
with me.  I'm sure any compiler language would be a first choice over
assembly to some coders.

I am going to avoid using any kind of ancient "make" mechanism in
favor of a more modern solution where dependent files are internally
linked to their parents.  Eventually I'll have it where an assembly
file can choose it's compiler parent from listboxes or whatever is
quickest to just point to the file(s), or the final linked binary can
choose it's components in a similar fashion.  The idea is to make it
all a visual interface of click and choose components based on the
output files of other source files.  It's a job, yes.  There's
nothing I dislike more than having to break away from any IDE to
manually edit a makefile.  Those days are coming to an end.  I'm
amazed at the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE but haven't dug in enough
to figure out how it deals with compiler->assembler->linker builds.

A Rainbow project can have any mix of source files calling on any
compiler or assembler for each file, yet I've made it so simple to
use that once those builders are configured (a slew of them are
preconfigured and included in the IDE, btw!) you just choose your
switches and options from listboxes for each file.  It's very cool.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com