[Coco] update on IDE

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Oct 12 16:26:00 EDT 2008

I'm very impressed at what I'm seeing today with Rainbow IDE 2.0.  I
just crunched the massive Projector-3 graphics system (CoCo 3 disk)
in about 10 seconds, and that software is working fine from the
virtual CoCo window.

P-3 is one of the best test builds I have for proving that the IDE,
the CCASM 6809/6309 cross assembler, and P-3 itself, along with
imgtool.exe or decb.exe is working great.  It's all seamless from the
time you click Go until you see the nuclear green window pop up.

The CoCo ROM Pak test builds and launches right into the ROM Pak,
running.  Great.  At that point, you see it works, and it's EPROM-ready.

I also built the big TASM test project which assembles about 20
different source code files for different CPUS (all supported by
TASM), and they're assembling to their binary objects.  Yea!  TASM
really sets off the IDE and lends support for most of the M.E.S.S.
emulated systems you can launch into.

Rainbow IDE is basically a vintage development system for almost all
of the oldie computers and game units, which are a LOT.  You can
almost name a CPU and a system, and the chances are, Rainbow has
built-in support for developing for those systems, with emulation.

The new overhaul of the IDE innards is proving to be successful.

I'm going to pick back up on the OS-9 Level Two RMA/Rlink support and
for assembling onto blank or existing virtual OS-9 floppies.  This is
very cool to experience.
--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com/random_thoughts_august_3_2007.asp