[Coco] cobbler and hard disks

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Fri Oct 3 19:50:25 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 09:52 +1000, Bob Devries wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge, the stock COBBLER is not supposed to be used on
> a hard disk. It is in fact hard coded to write the boot loader/kernel to
> track 34 of the floppy.
>
> Burke & Burke created a special programme for their hard disk adapter which
> created a kernel on track 128 of the hard disk, but I don't know of any
> others that allow this.

Alrighty, thanks Bob.  I too have reserved a "special" area on the hard
disk for the boot "track" which will require a similar specialized
program to write the kernelp1/boot/rel there, so I'm not surprised.

OS9Gen seems to do the right thing, though, w/r/t creating the boot
file, but it seems to try to write the boot track as well, which is
problematic.  May have to add a flag to it to stop it.

C.