[Coco] Looking for 1984 Motorola Product Manual

Nickolas Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Tue Oct 14 17:55:11 EDT 2008

I was wondering if anyone has a copy of an old Motorola Product manual
from 1984.

What I am looking for is the users Manual for: "Raster Memory System
Version 3.0 April 15, 1984"

This RMS chipset was the precursor to the GIME chip in the CoCo3. The
GIME ended up being a scaled down version of this chipset (2 chips)
being developed as the new CoCo3 chipset by Motorola.

It's a shame the CoCo3 didn't get it. It featured much of the things we
have in the GIME (VERY similar actually) but it also included the
ability to display 32 colours from 4096 total, 1 megabyte DRAM
addressing and 8 hardware sprites with collision detection.

Some of the "oddities" that I have been investigating with the GIME are
also there in the RMS chipset design so hopefully, if I can find the
product manual, it may shed some answers.

To read more about the RMS chipset, go to my 256 color mode page at:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/nickma/ProjectArchive/256mode.html

and also, read the text from the June 1985 issue of "UnderColor" found here:

http://cocomag.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/show_magazine.pl?magazine=UnderColor&issue=850111&article=850111-003-toc-4.cktct