[Coco] OT: Guns and such

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sun Oct 5 13:02:43 EDT 2008

This has been off-topic to the List for a while.  I'll stop when Dennis says to stop.  Google "Vermont carry".

From: Sean <badfrog at gmail.com>
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 3:34 AM,  <wdg3rd at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Prefer .45 (1911) for close up, and my Marlin (old-fashion lever gun) for
> range.  (I've got one good eye, and I prefer iron sights, but my .308 has a good
> old Bushnell).

I mistyped here (blame it on the beer).  My Marlin lever-gun is an 1894CS, .38 and .357.  The scoped .308 is a bolt action.

> > Sean, that is also one of my own favorite avocations.  But I've got little use
> for .223.  OK for poodle-shooters.  Works great on disks, no tactical function
> except when you have a political reason to lose troops (common during 'Nam,
> pandemic in Iraq).
>
> Going off topic a bit...  .223 is very useful if you want an 'evil
> black rifle' that ticks off the gun-grabbers.  They look so scary!

And they work so poorly.  Note that they are only issued to low-end troops, while the uppers in the Homeland Stupidity Department carry MP-5s  (not that I care for 9mm either).  Every smart troop in Nam grabbed an AK as soon as he found one (generally pried from still-warm dead hands)..

> Haven't tried my 1911 with the hard drive targets, I assumed it
> wouldn't penetrate much.

Doesn't have to.  Seriously breaks the heads and the platters they're next to.  Take them off the clothesline, put them in the coals of the charcoal grill while you're finishing supper, the data will evaporate.

> I was actually at a machine-gun shoot today.  Got to fire the
> full-auto gun they use in Stargate SG1!  (FN P90)
> That and a Barrett .50 caliber.  Those are awesome.

Haven't done full auto (or even selective fire) since Basic.  Yeah, it's fun.  Got a few shots through a Barrett clone several years ago.  Sweet.  (My only .50 Cal is a muzzle loader, as illegal as anything else I didn't ask Trenton for permission to own).
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

"What I know [about the art of the sword] boils down to this:  If you see a guy running at you with a sword, put two rounds in his chest to slow him down, then one into his brain to finish him off".  Aaron Allston, _Sidhe Devil_

The two halves of the ruling Party are arguing over who gets to be the Top this time.  Either wins, Top or Bottom, they both win by the situation.  For us individuals, BOHICA.