[Coco] tape format

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed Nov 19 22:56:01 EST 2008

At 09:21 PM 11/19/2008, you wrote:
>On 11/19/08, Roger Taylor wrote:
> > Try this one now.  I extended the gaps to 1 second.  Now it appears
> > that CLOADM is storing the last byte of the segment whenever the next
> > block is started.
> > The segments were repositioned to load at different areas of the
> > screen this time but no other code was changed.
> >

>That is due to the way CONSOLE IN works with cassette files.  When
>CONSOLE IN is called to read a byte, and that byte is the last one in
>the buffer, the next block is loaded into the buffer from tape before
>CONSOLE IN returns (with the last byte from the previous block).
>
>Darren

Ok.  I have since reduced all the gaps back to 1/2 second and
everything is loading fine.  I'm not sure if any given CoCo (without
the motor control) would ever require longer gaps for a binary like
this, but my utility will have the switches to easily tweak stuff
like this, per file.

So far, the following types of files have been sent to the CoCo as
"live" tape data:

ASCII BASIC  (CSAVE "TEST",A)
Single-record/origin binary  (CSAVEM "TEST",1024,1535,0)
Multi-record/origin binary (not sure what programs can create this
format, TAPE2DISK.BIN ?)

Data files (probably won't be useable on a remote CoCo with no motor control)
Tokenized BASIC

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com