[Coco] Disto SC (NOT) needed

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Nov 15 19:14:03 EST 2008

At 08:43 AM 11/15/2008, you wrote:
>Darren A wrote:
> > On 11/15/08, Roger Taylor <operator at coco3.com> wrote:

> >> I typed those POKEs and the problem was reproduced.  I tried another
> >> 64k ECB CoCo 2 and now my "controller" works.  So, I suppose both of
> >> my CoCo 1's have the NMI line screwed up.  Is there a fix for THAT ?  :)
> >>

> > Roger. The problem is almost certainly a blown HALT line inside the
> > CPU. I've had two such processors which behaved normally except when
> > disk I/O was performed. In both cases, tests revealed a blown HALT
> > line. The 6809 seems to be plagued by this problem. Replacing the CPU
> > will most likely fix the CoCos so they can once again use disks.
> >
> > Darren
> >

>Hmm.  Could you use a Super Controller II with a CPU that has no HALT
>line?  :)  (Probably not easily in practice, since the SCII runs in halt
>mode until the OS-9-only no-halt driver is loaded, and how will you boot
>OS-9?  Can you boot OS-9 over Drivewire?  Or you could burn OS-9 into
>EPROM.  I guess you could also use it in a cassette only system...)

I just discovered that my Disto Super Controller (1?) is not broken,
afterall.  It writes now!  My CoCo 1 I was using on obviously has
some cartridge slot pin problems.

Using it in another CoCo fixed everything.  :)  Yeeha.

Now if I can only get my MPROM burner to write to the EPROMs, all
will be glorious here.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com