[Coco] PC-to-CoCo floppy drive cable

Bill Barnes da3m0n_slay3r at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 15:24:37 EST 2008

Here's what I got on a Floppy Drive cable, without all the garbage of the IBM twisting getting in the way (IBM uses a twist on 10-16):

Not ALL signals show up for the CoCo.

All ODD numbered lines are ground: 1-33

02 reduced write/Density (DD/HD? or SD/DD, unsure) (Shugart: Disk Change)
04 NC (Shugart: DS3)
06 NC (Shugart: In Use)

The Next 4 pins are the ones that IBM messses with
10 DS0 (Shugart: DS 0) (IBM:
12 DS1 (Shugart: DS B)
14 DS2 (Shugart: DS 2)
16 Motor on

18 [step] Direction Select
20 step
22 Write Data
24 Write Enable
26 Track 00
28 Write Protect
30 Read Data
32 Side [1] Select (CoCo: DS3)
34 Disk Change (Amiga: Drive Ready)

NOTE: Shugart Interface Definitions are different on pins 2,4,6, and 34.
NOTE: The Shugart Definitions predate the IBM hack.
NOTE: The CoCo does not use pins 2,4,6, or 34.
NOTE: The CoCo, when using single sided drives, uses Side select as DS3.

Sounds like an IBM floppy cable will work though for this.

Sources:
http://pinouts.ru/Storage/InternalDisk_pinout.shtml

floppy disk controller schematics.

-Later!   -WB-    -- BABIC Computer Consulting.