[Coco] f83 for the CoCo, Update and a laundry-list of questions.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 10 12:20:48 EST 2008

On Monday 10 November 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:
>Why not go one easier? Have the DOS write a unique disk ID the first time it
> does a disk read, then compare that ID every other time? Would be
> easier/faster than a CRC each time. Maybe date/time stamp the disk in that
> normally unused area? Of course that's assuming a real-time clock, or a
> time function in the DOS.

I just sent a modified copy of the nitros9 backup to Robert for checking, it
preserves the (I was wrong, its only 16 bits) unique disk ID of the
destination disk when it is used for a backup target.  If this works, then
the problem should at least be solved for nitros9 in that we would have a
unique disk ID preserved even if that disk is used to make a backup copy of
another.  IIRC rbf.mn does check that, often enough is the question...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)