[Coco] f83 for the CoCo, Update and a laundry-list of questions.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 10 12:05:47 EST 2008

On Monday 10 November 2008, Bill Barnes wrote:
>Oh, just thought of this. One caveat to the CRC, or any unique ID generated
> on the fly, is if say you started with a blank disk, or other disk for that
> matter, and exchanged it for one of the exact same FAT/GAT layout. The
> problem would be that the change may not be noticed by any simple scheme.
> (unique disk ID assigned and written to the disk being perhaps the only
> exception.)

This is where os9 seemed to have right.  But in those cases, exchanging the
disk for a backup of the disk, which copied the 4 byte unique ID too, would
fool it.  But it had all the other bases covered.

Even this area could be worked around at the expense of another temp copy of
lsn0 in memory when making the backup, when reading in the lsn0 of the src
disk, copy the target disks unique ID over the src disks before writing track
0 back out to the target, thereby preserving that unique identification.
That shouldn't be too much of a mod to the backup utility.  If I get bored,
and looking for a project, I'll see if I can fix that.  No quick promises.
If someone beats me to it, well. :)  Looks like it was pretty easy, 8 lines
of code, but I'll send it to Robert for checking before I turn it loose.