[Coco] Why was the Coco abandoned?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Nov 9 20:30:07 EST 2008

On 9 Nov 2008 at 15:49, Michael Robinson wrote:

> I've heard that an engineering problem in the GIME chip lead to the
> demise of the Coco.  I've heard that the GIME was too expensive.

|=====================

That may very well be true if the product was cancelled in 1988. The GIME
chip was frought with problems with the original 1986 version part. the 1987
part works as designed. or at least what we think it was designed for.

It is hard to tell whichcame first. Tandy's cancellation of the Coco or
Motorola's cancellation of the MC6809 chip. If my memory serves me
correct the notice of cancellation and call for lifetime buys came in late
1988 or 1989. Motorola ceased official production in late 1989 ot early
1990. They still fullfilled warranty runs up to late 1999. I have week 42/46
of 1999 chips on hand.  That would make it about November of 1999 when
the last MC6809's were made.

> 1990, wasn't the 386 out at that point?

Yes.

> In the old days when the Coco was hot, there was real competition in
> the personal computer market.  It wasn't just Apple and vendors
> selling Windows compatible PC's.  Even the Alpha is gone now.

There was competition in the home computer market but 8 bit processors
had basically fallen into embedded use by 1990. The HC11 by far was
outpacing the MC6809 in the embedded market. The flavors of HC11 were
more integrated with peripherals that made it a better single chip solution
for embedded work.

I still relish what would have been a fantastic processor would be to have
the peripherals of the HC11 processors with the CPU core of the 6809 with
some expanded instructions. Would have made a better embedded
processor. The HC12 is the closest to that now. If it had the U register it
would be that microcomputer.

james