[Coco] Why was the Coco abandoned?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 9 19:06:15 EST 2008

Michael Robinson wrote:
> I've heard that an engineering problem in the GIME chip lead to the
> demise of the Coco.  I've heard that the GIME was too expensive.
>
> 1990, wasn't the 386 out at that point?
>
> In the old days when the Coco was hot, there was real competition in the
> personal computer market.  It wasn't just Apple and vendors selling
> Windows compatible PC's.  Even the Alpha is gone now.
>

> --

I think most of us believe that Tandy felt the Coco undercut the sales
of the more expensive PC clones. That would certainly have been the case
if a Coco4 were released.

Also Tandy never took the Coco seriously in spite of the fact that it
was very strong competition for anything else on the market in its price
range.