[Coco] f83 for the CoCo, Update and a laundry-list of questions.

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 15:25:56 EST 2008

On 11/9/08, Brett Heath wrote:

> I wasn't clear.

> What I don't see how to do, and what will
> become critical as I implement functions that
> modify the FAT and/or Directory sectors, is a way to tell if the user
> has changed the
> diskette since the last time the drive was accessed.
>
> If I can't get this without Basic taking over on an error I'll have to
> implement secondary
> buffers to hold the unmodified FATS and do a read-back and compare
> before any updates.
> That's messy, slow, eats memory and will be another PITA on top of
> having to emulate functions that should be available as system calls.

RSDOS does not provide any facility to detect if the user has changed
diskettes in a drive. It very much relies on the user to do the
correct thing by not changing disks while any files are open. There is
an UNLOAD command in Disk Basic which is supposed to be used before
switching disks to ensure that the current disk is updated if
necessary.

Darren