[Coco] Brands Of Old Diskettes

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Nov 9 08:30:02 EST 2008

On Sunday 09 November 2008, Jim Hickle wrote:
>--- On Sat, 11/8/08, Steve Ostrom <smostrom7 at comcast.net> wrote:
> The one brand of
>diskette that consistantly causes problems is Memorex.  Given the amount of
>advertising that Memorex did back in the 80's for diskettes and audio tape,
>I would have guessed these would be among the best brands.
>

>According to a newsletter from totalmedia.com a few years ago, Memorex never
> had a high quality product.  The adverts fooled me, thought.  Our company
> bought a dozen Memorex DVD-RAM disks a few years ago; nine of them wouldn't
> work at all.

Similar story here, bought a 100 pack of cdr's.  About 50% usable.  I simply
added them to the list of brands I won't touch with a barge pole.  The parent
company of memorex (its just a brand name they own) sold a scanner that sane
had a driver for, so I bought one.  A month later it came up dead after a
lightning storm, the only gear failure I've had since re-wiring this setup so
it all runs through one humongus surge suppressor, which in turn feeds a 1500
WA ups that feeds everything in here but the overhead lights.  Took it back.
No warranty, I was using it with (insert distastful grimace here) linux.

So I went across the street and bought an Epson 1250u.  Now its 8 years later
and it still works very very well.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)