[Coco] Question about BASIC coding guidelines

theother_bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 23:01:17 EST 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: "wdg3rd at comcast.net" <wdg3rd at comcast.net>
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:42:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Question about BASIC coding guidelines

What's this about security POKEs?  Do you mean making programs unLISTable?  Those were all easily broken (well, actually, the philosophy which inspired them was broken to begin with, handicapping the players in that game).
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

Well I've been away from it for too long to remember offhand but there is one specific poke I used that disables Basic polling of the Break key, although you *can* still test for it by ascii code or peek. The result is that you can control what happens when the user presses Break and Basic is sped up significantly, literally 10-20% I'd estimate. While the CoCo 3's SECB does have a Break key disable, but you don't get the speed increase, The specific POKE is documented in a list of pokes I found online, and I documented my use of it and other Basic tweaks in Color FOG Unravelled.

Bob
http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob