[Coco] Printing utility for linux users

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Fri May 16 13:34:45 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:24:06AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 06:56:58AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > Because many of us do not have decent printers that still understand ascii
> > from the coco's we all love, here is a couple of utils that can restore your
> > ability to make hard copy of your program listings and such.  And no, I
> > didn't write very much of this, a fellow named Jon LaBadie on the amanda-user
> > list did 95% of it.  He is a script genius.
>
> Hey, Gene!  That's cool.
>
> A casual glance suggests that this works for ASCII text only.
> Anyone put any thought to DMP or CGP (or Epson or whatever) emulation?

I found references to an old DOS program and an available payware
Windows program to emulate an Epson printer, but I didn't see anything
for Linux.  (CUPS can _driver_ an Epson printer but not _pretend_
to be one.)

Just in case anyone is motivated, I want to record this link in this
thread for posterity:

	http://support.epson.ru/products/manuals/000350/part1.pdf

That is the "Epson ESC/P Reference Manual" dated December 1997.
At first glance it appears to document the Epson printer language in
sufficient detail to allow a motivated person to write an emulator
-- YMMV!  Sadly, my need for such a beast is rather limited...

John
--
John W. Linville
linville at tuxdriver.com