[Coco] Floppy - less boot , was Re: VI and VIRQ

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed May 14 10:55:42 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Mark Marlette wrote:
>Gene,
>
>80T=96TPI
>40T=48TPI

For 5.25" drives only Mark, all 3.5" drives, even the original single sided
ones, are 135 tpi.

>I always thought to get a 48TPI disk out of a 96TPI drive that you
>would have to double step. Thus the driver would have to know what the
>drive is.

That is a read-only situation mark, because the heads in the 5.25" 80 track
drive are narrower, they do not erase the full track width when doing a
write, so at that point, the real 40 track drive with its wider heads, will
be reading both the narrow 96 tpi track, and the remains of the wider 48 tpi
track, with predictable gigo results.  And several times, I've not been able
to re-read what was just written, even with the narrow head of the 80 track
5.25" drive.

To format and use an 80 track 3.5 drive, do NOT change the dns value in the
descriptor, only the cyl(inders) to 50(=80 decimal) tracks.  There is never
any need to double step the 3.5" drive, they are all 135 tpi.

If the descriptor in memory has a higher dns value than is read from the disc,
then the driver will double step the drive assuming it has found a 40 track
disc in an 80 track drive.

This only applies to 5.25" 80 track drives, leave the dns set for whatever
=mfm (2?, memory, second thing to go you know) for ALL others.

To me, since that condition does not also set that disc to read-only, changing
the dns value is at best a mixed blessing that has lots of barbs attached.
You forget, and try to write to that disc and boom, disc format is wrecked,
and it must be reformatted in the right drive to recover.  Your data is of
course history in that event.

I almost wish that particular workaround had never been coded.

OTOH, its handier than sliced bread and bottled beer when you need it.

>That is part of the reason why it is hard to make a CoCo disk on a PC
>without a 5.25" 48tpi drive.

Which has prompted me, due to 3.5" disc interchange sloppiness, to carry a
3.5" drive back and forth as needed.  I have 3, any one will do, but they
can't read each others discs.  Its a PITA, but it works great. :)
But fdutils-5.5 seems to require that I format the disk to be used in that
manner on the coco. fdutils-5.4 works fine ISTR.  Linux box here of course.
>??
>
>I don't mess that much with Emulators/floppy drives. I use the real
>thing, still have over a hundred cocos in the house. :)

I don't emulate either. :)  Except for printing, I just bought a Brother
HL-2140 B&W laser for the coco.  Its a GDI printer of course, so /p feeds a
serial-usb convertor, which feeds a 16 foot usb extension cable/hub up to
here.  The printer is sitting on the coco's desk with another such 16 foot
usb extension cable/hub driving it.  Brother was very nice in telling me
where to find the linux drivers for it, and they work.  Now, if the coco
could just output 20 pages a minute. :)

The next problem there is in constructing a pipeline from /dev/ttyUSB1, where
I can capture the coco's output just fine, and feed that back
out /dev/usblp1, with a2ps and gs doing the translations from the coco's POA
(Plain Old Ascii) to the gfx image the printer expects.  Its fun, depending
on ones personal definition of 'fun' of course.  I may have to write a script
of sorts to paginate it into page sized pieces & feed it back out as
individual pages to lpr.  Or bring my C skills up to date, they are pretty
rusty.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene