[Coco] Floppy - less boot , was Re: VI and VIRQ

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed May 14 09:38:02 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Mark Marlette wrote:
>Diego,
>
>I don't think using an 80t will work unless the boot track module is
>also for that drive. The step sizes are different, 80 is 1/2 40's.
>
>I don't think there is an 80 track boot track. I would think that it
>could be made pretty easy. Hardware guys will always say that. :)

No reason why not Mark.  Unless THAT particular 80 track descriptor also has a
different value in its dns setting.  If an 80 track format is made by
dmode /d? cyl=50, to the 40 track DS descriptor, than this is correct for
pure 80 track drives of either size, 5.25 or 3.5.

The only reason for changing the dns setting to set the next bit up, is so
that if a 40 tack disc is inserted in an 80 track 5.25" drive, this diff will
be found in LSN0, and the driver will then double step the drive to read that
40 track disc correctly.  Again, that is the only reason.

Unforch, I found it is hard to remember that such a disc cannot be written in
that 80 track drive without wrecking the disc, and have wrecked several that
way.  The driver really should, when it finds itself in the situation, do
whatever it takes to duplicate finding a write protection tab on the disc,
and refuse to do the write, just to slap big dummies like me upside the head
with the error message.

There is no difference in the 3.5" disc's track widths as they are all 135
tpi, so in the 3.5" case, dns is never touched from the default found in the
older descriptors.