[Coco] nitros9 questions

Christopher Hawks chawks at dls.net
Sat May 10 16:04:09 EDT 2008

Gene Heskett said the following on 05/10/2008 11:29 AM:
> black hole now, 2 posts in 2 days have not come back)
>
> I have finally managed to build a new boot disk from the latest release
> that "almost" works.
>
> 1. It boots fine, but after sysgo puts it on the scsi hard drive, /dd, it gets
> a tummy ache over the xmode commands in my /dd/startup script, because
> xmode's syntax has been changed.
>
> One surprise was the init module has somehow become correct for a 2 megabyte
> system as mfree reports the correct amount of memory, and a dir /r0 steals a
> megabyte for an empty ramdisk.  I had installed mine instead of rammer so the
> formatting is automatic when accessed.
>
> 2. That (1. above) led to the next discovery as I was going to edit the
> startup file and fix the xmode syntax.  My std editor for the last nearly 20
> years has been the vi conversion of tsedit.  And I still use vim here on this
> linux box for almost everything.  So I'm used to it.
>
> However:
>
> vi startup
>  error 234 - non-existent module
>
> and it even works just fine if I'm cx'd and cd'd to the 80 track distribution
> disk in /d1 after booting the original boot Mark put on drive 128 several
> years ago.
>
> Either way, from /d0 or from the scsi hard drive, it still loads the same
> group of utils as both boots actually use the exact same startup file.
[...]
> But if someone can tell me why vi won't run when booted to the latest nitros9,
> I'd be suitably grateful.  That would be the most important item to fix
> first, because its the tool to fix just about everything else.

	Some of the modules names were changed a while back. Here is the CVS log entry:
Revision 1.1 - (view) (download) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
Sat Nov 26 21:31:22 2005 UTC (2 years, 5 months ago) by boisy
Branch: MAIN

Major changes:
CCIO,CC3IO are now VTIO
GrfInt is now CoGrf
WindInt is now CoWin
VDGInt (L2), CO32 (L1) is now CoVDG
CO51 (L1) is now CoHR
CO80 (L1) is now CoWP
All files referencing these have been changed

	Does vi reference any of them by name?? The descriptors were all changed.

--
Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft