[Coco] Slightly OT, But coco related

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Fri May 9 11:17:16 EDT 2008

John, I fully agree with your proposal. I can't see how kids today are
"getting into" programming, at least not without a lot of trial and
error, and frustration (as a professional software developer, I can say
that this still applies!).

DHTML is probably the easiest thing kids can work with, and even it can
be very daunting at time, leaving you scratching your head. Certain
things you can't even do (using AJAX, mainly) unless you have an actual
web server at hand.

A simple development environment, easily accessible for kids (but still
with enough power to entertain adults, too!) would open many doors for
new programmers. I don't see why it couldn't be based around BASIC,
either. Have you seen Blassic or FreeBASIC? FreeBASIC, especially, can
produce some really amazing software (it is essentially a gcc compiler
target, so it produces a native executable), but is simple enough for a
kid to pick up. Blassic is an interpretor, but with an emphasis on
staying true to "old school" BASICs - it is pretty fast, too.

Anyhow, your ideas and spirit are in the right place - kudos and good
luck on your efforts!

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, AZ