[Coco] VI and VIRQ

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Tue May 13 11:44:30 EDT 2008

Gene,

 From your comments, I think you are misunderstanding OS-9's method
for executing programs.

Fact: if you type the name of a non-executable module (i.e. device
descriptor) at the shell prompt in an attempt to execute it, you will
get an error #234.

This is the way it has always worked in OS-9 and NitrOS-9.  Nothing in
the last few releases of NitrOS-9 has changed in this regard.

I checked the King's Quest III bootfile.  Here's the ident output:

    17 $C0 $47B370 . OS9p2
    67 $C0 $0B2322 . Init
    12 $C1 $FD1FEA . IOMan
    28 $D1 $EFBE13 . RBF
     9 $E1 $759161 . CC3Disk
    82 $F1 $FC1918 . D0
    82 $F1 $9F4210 . D1
    82 $F1 $E6B118 . DD
    13 $D1 $F946CA . SCF
    19 $E1 $0C8A2E . CC3IO
     1 $C1 $11ED90 . VDGInt
    83 $F1 $AB5AE5 . TERM
    10 $C1 $A18121 . Clock
     5 $11 $1006FE . CC3Go
    83 $F1 $577429 . VI
    22 $E1 $A128BF . AGIVIRQDr

There exists a module named VI in that bootfile, which would
immediately clash with the VI program you are trying to run.  Again,
NitrOS-9 does nothing special or different in this regard.  The issue
is a name clash between a program and a module in memory.  The module
in memory wins out.

Regards,
Boisy G. Pitre
Email: boisy at boisypitre.com