[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: PC-6001

James Tamer emucompboy at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 13:46:24 EDT 2008

> If memory serves... I was also bidding against you for a copy of
Wavy
> Navy

Never heard of Wavy Navy!  Wow.  I must remember to check EBay more
often.

> I picked up Shamus or

I got that one some years down the line.  I have a couple of carts I
haven't dumped yet.

> I have the expansion device with the disk interface.

I have that too, if we're talking about the thingummie that has three
cartridge slots and fits on the right side of the computer.  I took
it apart and disabled the "magic reset" switch for one of the slots,
so I could insert cartridges while the computer was on without the
computer resetting.  This is about the extent of my hardware
abilities.  I wish I knew how to solder.

> But then I'd
> still need the DOS cart

I thought that the (software) booter for the DOS was put into the
Extended BASIC cartridge, and the rest of the DOS was on that
utilities disk that I foolishly didn't get for $5.  One of these
days, I've got to dig this stuff out of storage and play with it
again.  It might be that the MkIISr has more of the DOS built into
the computer.  (Can't save to disk, if you can't format the disk!)

> loss.  FWIW there is an Japanese auction site that regularly has
> PC-6000 items for sale... if you can manage to get past the
> communications barrier.

...and the currency exchange barrier!  Oh my.

> The CoCo drive would work but you need the interface and DOS.

I've got to check the pinout listings of both (NEC Trek's is in the
big blue book).  I remember thinking, at one time, that the FD501
might just plug directly into the NEC Trek expander.

hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://papicom.net/
> Hint, follow the "PC6001V's mind" link, then check out
the "Snapshot"
> link.  It's just pics but gives you an idea of what titles were
> available.  There was another site with the Tiny Xevious for
download
> but I can't find it.

Yeah, I've never been able to find Tiny X. or Loderunner.  I wish I
could read Japanese!