[Coco] Some Coco Questions

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 18:29:40 EDT 2008

The other day I addressed this scenario and decided to backup my old 5.25
game disks to 3.5 disks. Mostly because I have lot's of the 3.5s and the 3.5
drive is drive 0.
I found some problems with that. Some game disks won't allow a backup.
Others(OS9) seem to have a problem with altered bootfiles to account for
double sided disks and converting them from the original FLIPPIES. The
Sierra Online stuff comes with instructions on how to do this, even moving
them to a hard drive.
 I thought that was really cool.

 I've managed to get most done, but there are a few that just simply won't
work when attempting to backup to a 3.5.

Sometimes, I get an error from RS-DOS and the backup aborts. I'm sure that's
probably a protection scheme on the RSDOS disk. However, it could be due to
bit rot on the floppy I'm trying to backup. I have been able to just copy
the programs to the 3.5 when this occures but, not always, even though the
game works when loaded from teh original disk.

 For now, I'm still working the CNC stuff and haven't had much time to play
with converting 5.25 disks to 3.5. I have had some success though.
 Converting the OS9 operating system to 3.5 disks is easy.

 I hope I don't sound stupid in this stuff, even though I'm not really very
good at it but, I keep trying!