[Coco] Xmodem, Ymodem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Mar 22 01:24:42 EDT 2008

On Saturday 22 March 2008, Bob Devries wrote:
>I've used ZModem between my PC and my Amiga, but I must say it's very
>unreliable, and prone to time-outs, regardless of the transmission speed.

The amiga zmodem was I believe based on Tim Kientzles version, but was totally
compatible with rzsz-3.36 on the coco.  So bulletproof in fact that I'd say
you are miss-configured on one or the other serial ports, or have duff
hardware.  I could move a 2+ megabyte file to the coco, then move it back to
the amiga with no diffs cmp could find, and reverse, from the coco to the
amiga and back and the crc was still good, and no stumbles in the transfer
going either way.  I tested that _very_ thoroughly.

I have worked rzsz-3.3.6 against an old windows box once or twice too, on a
real 14,400 modem.  A couple of bad crc restarts slowed it down as I was
sending it about 50 miles at the time, but it worked.