[Coco] Frustrated in Seattle

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Thu Mar 13 05:48:41 EDT 2008

>I am getting frustrated with my attempts to utilize 3.5" floppy drives with
>NitrOS9. It is not the fault of the O/S, rather it is

> my lack of knowledge, so I am asking for some help or guidance.

I will be following this thread.  I have had little problems customizing my
system under OS-9,  NITROS09, OTOH.

> Now, I am using HD (1.44 IBM type) 3.5" media, not 720 media. I have tried
> it with the density hole covered (with black tape) and uncovered.
> Regardless of the way I jumper the drive or cover/uncover the density hole
> on the media, the following occurs.

I have NEVER gotten reliable performance with 1.44 media with a CoCo.  720
media works fine in most older 1.44 drives.  Some drives, especially newer,
less than 10-15 year old drives, don't seem to work reliably.  The few 720
drives I have tried, did not last long.

> So, for those of you who are using 3.5" media with NitrOS9:
> (1) What floppy drives are you using (720 or 1.44)?

Older 1.44 drives.  I prefer ones with jumpers or switches for all four
drive position selections.

> (2) What media are you using (720 or 1.44)?

720.

> (3) Did you modify your 80dd descriptor and if so what did you change?

No.

> (4) Did you have to do any "jumpering" or pin-covering on your 3.5"
> drives?

No.

> (5) What question do I need to ask, that I am ignorant about, and thus,
> don't know to ask?

As I said, I will be following this thread.

Bruce W.