[Coco] Japanese PC Game in CoCo Style?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Mon Mar 3 10:22:38 EST 2008

I think my "japanese friend" found the author's homepage -
unfortunately, it is in japanese as well:

   http://bernie.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

   http://bernie.hp.infoseek.co.jp/beluga.html

He noted on this page (and if you look around the site you will see what
I mean) that maybe the game was written for something called a PC-6001
(?) - does anyone know what this is? He tried to indicate that this may
be a Japanese CoCo compatible machine?

The "bernie" site above seems to indicate that the author develops/is
developing/developed some kind of emulation system or something:

   http://bernie.hp.infoseek.co.jp/develop/p6develop.html

He references it as "hot soup processor" (hmm - looking at things does
he mean "java")? More:

   http://bernie.hp.infoseek.co.jp/vanity/pc6001.html

Look at that picture - looks almost like a weird CoCo 1 (grey case),
doesn't it? Except - it has a fan or speaker over where the cartridge
slot should be. That may not even be the machine - there is another
machine above it - looks almost like a PCjr? Is the PC-6001 a PCjr clone?

Ah - apparently some more searching brought me this:

   http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=177

And there is the answer to this mystery - alas, not a CoCo - darn.

However, the PC-6001 did use an MC6847 compatible video chipset, which,
along with 3.8 Mhz Z-80 compatible CPU plus three audio channels via a
General Instruments AY-3-8910 - kinda makes it a machine more on par
with an NES/Famicom, than a CoCo.

Once again proving that the Japanese always have the better stuff long
before we can get our hands on it (why is that?!)...

Challenge:

Can we create a similar game on arguably worse hardware (I still say
YES)...?

-- Andrew L. Ayers
    Glendale, Arizona