[Coco] How to Acess Internet Telnet BBS's & MUDS on a CoCo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Mar 3 07:50:43 EST 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008, Derek wrote:
>I just wanted to pass along information on how I have been able to use my
> CoCo III to access BBS's  and Online MUD Games via Telnet on the Internet.
> You will need to have a serial cable with null modem adapter running
> between the coco serial port and your windows system's serial port.
>
>1: Download the Internet Modem Application from here :
> http://boycot.no-ip.com/InternetModem This is a Windows XP Program that
> basically emulates a Modem and allows you to use your Windows System as a
> Gateway.
>
>2: Edit the InternetModem .ini file and set the following items like this
>SerDataBits=8
>SerParity=None
>SerStopBits=1
>Handshake=XonXoff
>Baud=19200 (You may have to adjust this down to the 2400, 9600 range if your
>  if your using the built Serial Port on the Coco (RS-232 Pack users should
> be able to leave this at 19200.) I am using the built in 4 pin DIN Serial
> Port on the CoCo  and I can not go above 9600 baud. I left all the other
> settings in the .ini file set to default.
>
>3: Get a terminal program for your coco. For 512K Coco III users I recommend
> Sockmasters Twilight Terminal Software as it has ANSI support and works
> great. http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/twi-term.html
>
>128K Coco III or Coco I & II Users can find many good terminal programs from
> here ftp://os9archive.rtsi.com/RSDOS/TELECOM I was able to get GETerm from
> there to work just fine.
>
>4: Once you get your coco terminal program configured go to terminal mode
> and you "dial" out by using the Hayes AT Command set. For example if you
> want to  access a telnet bbs you would type this ATDT vbarnet.org it can
> also access the bbs via a direct ip addresses so ATDT 216.62.20.217 is what
> you would type if you only have the BBS IP address (both of those are
> working BBS's I have accessed with my CoCo and this setup.) The Internet
> Modem software defaults to Port 23 but if the BBS uses a port other than 23
> you would enter the "dial" command like this ATDT BBSNAME.COM:8801

This is neat, I wonder if something like this can be cobbled together for
linux?

Also, and I really should upload this after I find it on the disks I brought
home from the tv station, I have that quite old vt-100 progrram that has been
brought up to date and compatible with all known vt-220 codes.  For OS-9 of
course.  I'd assume it could work for this?  IIRC, I also built in zmodem
triggers & responses while I was at it.

>Thats it. If anyone needs help getting the terminal programs onto a coco
> floppy let me know or if you have any questions I will do my best to
> answer. I have used this same method to access BBS'S and MUDS on my Apple
> IIE, Atari 800XL , Atari Mega ST 2 and Amiga 1000 so if you own other
> vintage systems the same instructions would basically apply.
>
>You can find updated telnet bbs listings here :
> http://www.telnetbbsguide.com/
>
>You can find a huge listing of online MUD, MUSH type of games you can play
> via telnet here http://www.mudconnect.com/
>
>My Personal Favorite MUD Game is http://www.aardwolf.com/
>
>Hope someone finds this useful
>
>Derek
>
>*  I posted this on coco3.com message forum but also wanted to post on the
> e-mail list as folks may find it useful and this message list gets archived
> online for future access.
>
>** Mistrust Authority. Promote Decentralization **

Then join the DownSizeDC mailing list.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)