[Coco] absense of DLOAD in CoCo 3

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 2 17:28:50 EST 2008

Roger Taylor wrote:
> This is something I'm asking because I have never taken the time to even
> look into the matter.
>
> Is it possible to switch to CoCo 2 emulation and ROM mode to get the
> DLOAD code back?  If the CoCo retains the original ROMs and just patches
> them at startup, this should be possible unless I'm missing something.

It seems that while the ROMs do get patched at a cold start, the code at
$8C1B (DLOAD) is indeed different with a Coco3. Part of DLOAD is gone
and returning to ROM mode does not bring it back.

As a test you can boot a Coco3,
POKE&HFFDE,0
EXEC &HC002
and you will be in ROM mode without any Super Extended commands. If you
print a few bytes from $8C1B on, you will find the same code given in
"Unravelled" where DLOAD is partially missing.