[Coco] SyQuest Procedures

richec rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Sun Mar 30 01:30:45 EDT 2008

Hello:

I have finally freed up some time to begin doing something with my Cloud-9
NitrOS-9 system. The first thing I want to do is back up my hard drive on to
the 120mb SyQuest drive also hooked up to my system.

BTW my system is a Cloud 9 built up system with 512k RAM, 6309 CPU, with the
TC3 SCSI interface controller. The hard drive has been formated and set up by
Cloud 9 with 255 RSDOS floppy partitions and a large OS-9/NitrOS-9 partition
after that. I REALLY do not want to screw that up. The NitrOS level is
ver2.00. I know that this is not the latest and greatest, but I do not want
to try updating it until I have a proper backup. Hence my questions. I do
have backup boot floppies, one will start the boot and transfer control to
the hard drive, that other will do it all and allow me to see the HD and if
necessary format it.

First - I need to know that proper procedure for ejecting the cartridges. I
have been warned that there is a right way and a wrong way to do that. Do it
wrong a thingsget broken. So some enlightnement would be greatly appreciated.
Also a yellow light appears above the green light once in a while. This has
happened when I reset the CoCo for reboot, what does that mean. TIA.

Second, when I do a dmode on /h1 the results are drv=1 hda=1, but when I do a
dir on /h1, the results match the results of a dir on /h0. So I get the
impression the system is hitting the hard drive both times. How can I get the
system to look at the SyQuest volumn? After studying an old TC3 manual I get
the impression that changing the dns from 81 (SCSI ID 0) to 82 (SCSI ID 1)
for /h1, I would be making the system look at the SyQuest, but when I do this
and try to dir it or hformat it the system hangs until I reset it. Am I wrong
about dns? TIA

Richard