[Coco] ka9q was Re: Coco Contiki

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Wed Mar 5 05:53:42 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 06:42:48AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

Gaah, sorry it took so long to get back to this.  Real Life sucks some
times. :-(

> I'd been using Supercom-2.3 for that, I used it years ago to connect to my
> amiga and conduct speed tests while building rzsz-3.36 for us.  The
> connection then was bulletproof.

Yeah, I think Supercom works too.

> >As a good first test, net (the ka9q binary) can indeed telnet to
> >itself and ftp to itself.  It is, however, very very slow.
>
> You are telnetting?  To an FQDN, or an arbitrary IP address?

Either, as long as its on the same machine. :-)  The ip address and
the FQDN are set in KA9Q's startup.net file, which also starts various
(small) servers.  KA9Q can successfully telnet to its own server.

None of the KA9Q binaries have "ping" compiled in,
which makes debugging harder.  It does, however, have an echo server,
and I've been able to ping it from the linux box.  Getting back about
1 out of 10 packets. :-(

> ISTR I was using mgetty on this box.  But that's a very hazy
> memory. And I do not now see any such thing in my kmenu's.

agetty here.  I need to make sure it's putting the serial port into a
sane mode.

> >Using net.trace
> This is on the coco?

Yep.  The KA9Q binary had to be split up into several, with different
commands.  They all have telnet.  "Net" has ftp and the servers.
"net.trace" has ipstat and tcpstat.  "net.smtp" has a baby sendmail.

> >Oddly enough, ifconfig on the linux side shows no errors, but a
> >smaller number of packets transmitted & received.  Hummm.

I think part of that is, the (impatient) user keeps killing
connections on one machine, and then the other machine gets a packet
through. :-)

> We have crc16, and crc32, and either needs to be built with the same seed
> number on both ends.

The only thing I've found about it is the linux slip driver option for
6-bit encapsulation, and I don't think that's the problem.

> >Anyway, tonight I'm going to start by debugging slip.login.

Which I'm still not done with.... I've fixed several problems with
this script without really improving the SLIP connection.  Still, 50%
or more packets have checksum errors on the CoCo. :-(

> What package is that in, I do not have it here (F8 install)

Sliplogin seems to have been dropped from Slackware, I'm not sure what
replaced it.  Which is probably a good choice, as it has given me
fits!  I'm currently very suspicious of the "route" commands it builts
up with sed & awk..., since "arp" reports that the CoCo is connected
to eth0....

I'm also going to drop the speed.  9600 may simply be too much for
KA9Q to keep up with, when I don't have the *CART lines on my MPI
strapped together.

Hell, at least I'm learning more about IP networking.  A guy could
wish a 300-level CS course on networking would talk more about IP than
the ISO 7-layer model.... Blaeah!

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA