[Coco] off-topic: National Geographic episode

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Jun 16 21:39:48 EDT 2008

At 09:47 PM 6/14/2008, you wrote:
>Roger,
>I got the whole episode, and it says in the beginning,
>that it is the Louiville world hub.  If I can find a
>way to dump it to dvd, I'll let yuou know asap. Right
>now, I don't know hoiw to do that, so I might even
>have to read directions,lol. Of the4 quick tour I took
>of the Dalas UPS at night, on the show was a lot
>worse. It said they hAve four wings with multiple
>planes.

Karl, Roy Justus sent me a VHS tape of the show but I'm still
interested in a digital copy if you can.

Roy, thanks!!  It came today and I just finished watching it.

Although they showed little of what happens the most at UPS, the
Ground package system, they did show that the lower 3 floors of that
super hub were dedicated to those types of packages.  That's where
the hardest work is and why the cameras only showed a few seconds of
manual labor there.  Some of the most fit people around (who were
crazy enough to fall for UPS) are on those floors.  One guy said it
all... "I don't need to go to the gym every night, I get plenty of
excercise here"  haha.  So true.  And it can be trying for not so fit
people.  Today we had a black guy layed out on the floor in our
bathroom (which has A/C) having breathing problems.  They may have
taken him to the E.R., but who would know... we were too busy to even
inquire more about it.  Poor fella.  This summer heat and the
pressure they force on you is enough to cause vomiting and health
issues, and is why they offer the best insurance around, free and
almost always 100% coverage on whatever it takes to get you back in
the game (sad, isn't it?).  A new cover driver in our center all of a
sudden yesterday had internal pain and was told to go to the E.R. by
his doctor, where they did immediate surgery and removed his (I
think) appendix (sp?).  All along UPS has a secret slogal "I bleed
brown" and sayings similar to that where it seems like they expect
you to give your life to grow the company.  But in the end, you can
live off the pension til you croak over.

Then at the end it finally showed a brief look at the drivers,
something I do as well, but again, they only showed slow moments, no
sweating, easy-going appearance, etc. which is just not the case 99%
of the time.  In the summer it feels like an OVEN in the back of the
trucks.  Sweat will boil from your arms and body if you stay back
there long enough.  So, you get out quick.  Oh, and did I mention no
power steering?   Only the newest of trucks have it but they
literally keep bringing the old trucks back from the dead by repair
so the majority use muscle steering.

Then finally, the mind-boggling statement... "you'll almost never see
a UPS driver making a left turn -- right turns only".  Most of this
is preset in the order of the stops for the day, but a great deal of
that strategy comes with experience and area knowledge.  For
instance, if a train suddenly shows up and parks right on the track
that goes all the way through town, and there's only a few bridges
that go under or over the train, you're expected to magically devise
a formula in your head within seconds or minutes to either stay on
track while going around the train, or restructure the order of stops
while the train is sitting there causing delays.  Or what if you're
dispatched with a truck full of stops but no route plan.  You've got
to invent a formula in your head?  Sure.  Tell them you can't figure
it out or do it and you'll be punished and probably never drive
again.  That's about 1 of 50 things off the top of my head that can
challenge a delivery person's fun-filled day.  :)

Anyway, thanks for the video.  I learned a lot what I didn't already
know about our system.

We now return you to our regular scheduled CoCo programming.  :)
Sorry for the off-topic, guys.