[Coco] MCM68766

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 13 07:05:55 EDT 2008

On Sunday 13 July 2008, Joe wrote:
>I know this was discussed on the list before but I can't for the life of me
> find it. Just got a NOS tube of these @ 350ns. Anyone remember if that fast
> enough for a coco3. BTW anyone know of a cheap programmer that will write
> these.
>Thanks.

That could be a tad slow, but one never knows how fast the part is till you
scope it out.  I once had a 2028 fail in a whole sea of them in a time base
corrector, and there were none locally available.  Its supposed to be a 90
nanosecond part and was being used at about 90 according to my measurements.

But the wholesaler in the next town did have some 6116's, which are a cmos
version with the same footprint, and rated at 250 nanoseconds.  I plugged one
of them in and it worked for the next 10 years, running cooler than the 2028's
around it, at an 90 ns cycle time.  From the looks of the data buss, it may
actually have been the fastest chip in there.