[Coco] the bit-banger

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jul 11 18:14:20 EDT 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008, Chuck Youse wrote:
>Does anybody _really_ use this in a *S9 setup?

ATM I am Chuck. I needed a printer & you can't buy one that understands ascii
now for several years.  So I grabbed a usb<->serial adapter and a couple of
long usb extension cables, and I'm feeding /p to this box at 9600 baud, where a
script watches that usb port and collects the data.  When the data stops, it
turns around and sends it to lp3, which is a 110 dollar brother laser printer
sitting on the top shelf of the coco's desk.

Sort of Rube Goldburgish, but it worked till a lightning strike right on top of
me sent a surge, and the coco isn't on the same power leg as everything in this
room is, so it blew the adapter.  I bought some more just like it, but somehow
that one is sending trash and I haven't had the time to scope it out and see
if /p is still at 9600 baud, I had to play with tuneport because it was closer
to 15kbaud originally.