[Coco] floppy controller update

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Mon Jul 7 10:24:05 EDT 2008

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 20:52:20 -0600, Gene Heskett
<gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 06 July 2008, Chuck Youse wrote:
>> [...]
>> The more I think about this, the more I think it must be an interleaving
>> issue.  Consider that the sectors are most likely laid out in order by
>> Linux's fdformat.  Consider that I appear to be getting something in the
>> neighborhood of one sector every 200-250ms, and then consider that at
>> 300RPMs, one revolution takes about 200ms.  Bingo.
>>
>> Does that seem right?  Is anyone even listening to my jabbering
>> anymore? ;)
>>
>> C.
>>
> I think you've hit it Chuck.  The std interleave for os9 is 3, and I
> have used
> as high as 8 when using bru for backups.

Under NitrOS9, the best we could get was 2:1. We were close to 1:1, but
not quite enough. If one changed the driver to do read track (instead of
sector), and buffered it all, then one should be able to use 1:1. Would
make the driver more complicated, though.

--
L. Curtis Boyle