[Coco] floppy controller update

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Sun Jul 6 17:59:10 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 16:13 -0400, Chuck Youse wrote:

> The only serious problem at this point is what can only be termed
> abysmal performance.  During the boot process, I'm only getting slightly
> more than 1Kb/s (essentially 4-5 sectors/second) on the reads.  I've
> tracked it down to the period of time between when I issue the read to
> the controller and the time it exits non-DMA mode (once the transfer is
> complete).  Ideas:

The more I think about this, the more I think it must be an interleaving
issue.  Consider that the sectors are most likely laid out in order by
Linux's fdformat.  Consider that I appear to be getting something in the
neighborhood of one sector every 200-250ms, and then consider that at
300RPMs, one revolution takes about 200ms.  Bingo.

Does that seem right?  Is anyone even listening to my jabbering
anymore? ;)

C.