[Coco] HD floppy controller update: success!

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Jul 5 22:08:11 EDT 2008

On 5 Jul 2008 at 19:13, Chuck Youse wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 18:10 -0400, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>
> > Finally decided to install the freeware version of Eagle and look at
> > the autoroute of the board. My only comment is to nix the autorouter
> > and reroute it by hand. Typical autorouter layout. The PCB needs a
> > bunch of cleanup just to make it.
>
> Oh, yeah, there's no doubt the layout is crap.  But I'm lazy - I put
> the schematic and layout together in a few hours and sent it off to
> get fabbed.  I wasn't sure if it was going to work or not, but now
> that it seems to, I may invest the time into routing at least the
> important bits by hand.
>
> C.

Chuck

Please don't take offense. The only decent autorouter that I have ever
used was Spectra, a CCT router. Autorouters have their place. I am
used to doing very high frequency RF layout and critical digital layout. I
have experience in layout for RF and critical EMI su ppression. So that
tends to bias my opinion on autorouters.

james