[Coco] Coco 3 high-density floppy controller/IDE interface

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 06:27:50 EDT 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 03 July 2008, David Hazelton wrote:
> What does it do with the 3rd ds line?  That was not normally the fdc's
> responsibility, but was selected via separate latching buffers on the
> controller pcb.  There were times I had considered replacing the 3 DS lines by
> feeding them to a 3x8 decoder to get 8 drives & then I wouldn't be moving drive
> cables all the time to switch from the various flavors of 5.25" drives to the
> 3.5".

Looking at the schematics in Eagle, and the data sheet for the Intel
FDC. The FDC supports up to 4 drives, but as the interface is wired up
for connection to standard PC type floppies, the DS2/3, and ME2/3 lines
are not connected to the drive chain. However it would be possible to
connect these so that 4 drives could be supported. Connecting the DS0..3
  direct to the interface and the ME0..3 through some logic to the
/MOTOR line. OK this would break compatibility with IBM drives, but
would allow for up to 4 drives, and IBM drives could still be used with
apropreate cable twists :)

Another solution may be 2 IBM compatible drive connectors that differ
just by which DS/ME combinations they have routed to them, so you would
keep the current one, and add another with DS/ME 2..3 routed to it,
though I'm not sure if this would work due to it effectivly being a Y
shaped cable with the controler in the middle.

Cheers.

Phill.