[Coco] getting graphics into CoCo games easier

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Sat Jan 26 09:49:05 EST 2008

Back in the days when I was creating games for the CoCo, I first
created them used fcb data statements for the graphics data.
It wasn't long before the games were mostly data and took forever to
assemble all the data with a little bit of code. So I redesigned my
utilities to output pure binary data file that could be loaded in at
runtime along with the much smaller assemble code file.

The key to making the graphics work was all sprites were address via
a lookup table.  The code only need to know what sprite number it
what to draw and it could find the graphics data by the information
in the table loaded with all the graphics.

Later versions graphics utilities would not only include the address
of the graphics data but the MMU settings for the data block of
graphics and the controls of how long to display it and what the
sprite would be.  (As in a player running to the right, there are 4
to 6 sprite are needed to show that motion.)

If I can find the graphics utilities I'll try to get them running
under the Rainbow IDE and the VCC system.  (But thiat is a big if
because my main CoCo that I used to create my final games was stolen
about 6 years and I don't know if I have any backups on floppies.

Should I find the code, the VCC under windows would make my old
program run very, very fast!  (and no need to write a new version
that run under windows.)

Steve (Rampage) Bjork