[Coco] Trimming NOS-9

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Thu Jan 24 09:14:34 EST 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 20:33:45 -0600, Diego Barizo <diegoba at adinet.com.uy>
wrote:
> Edit is not a problem, because I hope to replace it with a full text
> editor (Sled maybe?)
> Thanks about the DEFS directory. Being not sure about what it was used
> for, I would have left it there.
>
> Diego
>
> Bob Devries wrote:
>> Hi Diego,
>>
>> that list of commands can certainly be dispensed with, or at least
>> moved to another disk in another drive if you have a two-drive system.
>>
>> Possible exceptions that I have found useful are edit and dump, for
>> editing scripts and viewing binary files respectively.
>>
>> I would doubt that reboot would close any open files. How would it know
>> which files are open? Still, it's a question the NitrOS9 team is better
>> equipped to answer.
>>
>> -- Regards, Bob Devries, Dalby, Queensland, Australia

Another thing you can do to save a little space (both disk and RAM), is to
take smaller CMD modules that you use often, MERGE them (<=7.5K), and load
them at boot time. Since every module load takes the 7.5K irregardless,
you might as well make use of the space. I usually had some of the smaller
ones mixed with the SHELL, and then LOADed a couple of others with
utilities/programs that I used often (within the 7.5K limit, of course).

--
L. Curtis Boyle