[Coco] CoCo 3 MMU test for all

Mon Jan 21 05:50:42 EST 2008

> In the mid 1800's, there was of course no need for binary and
> hexidecimal--there were no digital circuits that required such
> numbering systems. One of the main purposes for these mechanical
> calculators was to automatically compute trig tables for naval
> navigation. So of course decimal was the numbering system of choice.
> Some inventors even managed to build printers to output the results,
> thus removing human error from the process of creating the tables.

By the way, if ever you find yourself in London, U.K., you owe it to
yourself to head over the the Science Museum to check out the
artifacts.  They truly are beautiful, beautiful machines.

Here's an article with some images, including the working replicas
that the engineers at the museum produced:

And a friend of mine took some photos when he was there a couple of
months ago:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cburgess/MuseumsOfNaturalHistoryScienceVictoriaAlbertMuseum/photo#5124788078346388770

I think it has cost them upwards of $1M to construct these things!

-- JP