[Coco] A faster "Real" CoCo Re: General Memory Question about speed

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jan 14 19:11:02 EST 2008

On 14 Jan 2008 at 13:53, Steve Bjork wrote:

> What could this new CoCo do?  How about run many times faster.  We
> have scene a "CoCo on a FPGA" run many times faster.  Why stop there?
> Put a full 6309 with even more improvements.  In the other FPGA would
> be a DMA controller for high speed transfers between the memory and
> your 32 GB USB flash drive.  (Yes, they do make 32 GB flash drives.)
> Just think how fast your programs would load!

Like a 6309 with a 4 digit  BCD adder and subtracter?????

6309 core with memory mapped PWM, SPI and SCI?

GIven that there are some very large FPGAs now the sky is the limit.

Right now the main registers for a 6309 in a XIlinx FPGA take up only 33
slices in a Spartan  2E. That would be the A,B,E,F,X,Y,U,S,CCR and DPR
registers. The ALU less the multiplier and divider is about 100 to 125 slices.
WIth a BCD adder and subrtactor. I have no idea how much the microcode
will take.

james