[Coco] Duplicating Copy-Protected Games (Z-89) (Was: Coco Digest, Vol 55, Issue 22) (Steve Bjork)

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 11:49:51 EST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 10:28 AM, Andrew L. Ayers wrote:

We are losing a lot of our computing history, and in some cases
> knowledge (only to be "re-invented/discovered" - and then copyrighted
> AND patented!) - which could in many instances benefit today's budding
> software programmers and engineers.

Testament to the fact that the copyright model is an old one, hardly
suitable for the fast changes in the world of published works in the last 30
or so years. No argument against protecting the rights of the creator, but
as you note, the way things are it all comes just as a perpetual vicious
circle: re-invent/discover. Makes me wish to have patented the binary
system, then everyone would owe me royalties for all those 1s and 0s in
their object code... or the seven musical notes... imagine that, every tune
out there pumping pennies into my vault.

> I respect you and your work, Steve, but between you and Bill Vergona (of
> CerComp fame), I sometimes wonder just why you hold on to this old code
> so dearly for so little. You certainly can't take it with you...

Bill Vergona... now  *that's* a name I had not heard in a long time. A long
time.

-=[ Rogelio ]=-