[Coco] General Memory Question about speed

Darren A. darccml at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 13 19:50:03 EST 2008

> From: Dave R in Illinois
>
> So If I understand correctly, faster memory would help a tad with simple
>
> calculations but when it comes to anything being drawn on screen, the
>
> GIME is the limiting factor, not the ram. Interresting. Reason I ask is,
>
> I was interested in building a coco from scratch, similar to CoCoZilla, but
>
> Replacing the 6309/6809 with a Freescale 68HC11 to lower part count.

Faster memory won't help with anything in a CoCo because the system is already designed to operate with no wait states.

Building a CoCo clone with a 68HC11 will result in a machine that won't be able to run any CoCo software. There are many differences between the instruction sets of the 09 and HC11, plus the fact that the HC11 does not have a U index register.

Darren