[Coco] The bug is not a CoCo, but...

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Jan 10 11:53:52 EST 2008

It's a neat gadget, but would be an expensive CoCo! The $299 price is just the base unit. The LCD is a small touch screen for another $99. It states that it has a "smart LCD interface", but I'm not sure if that means it will use an LCD monitor or hacked LCD panel. Maybe a screen can be hacked to use the base LCD interface? There are USB ports though, so it could be programmed for a laptop USB video device and USB kepboard. I don't see anything resembling a usable CoCo emulated for less than $500. For that I'd go with one of the CoCo-on-a-chip solutions. For those who have the "play money" $500-$600 isn't bad though.

What would sell is a simple, easy to interface/program computer with open source that's relatively cheap. The best thing going in that area, I think, is an old CoCo 2 (or 3) off e-bay. A new generation model with a few improvements would be too costly for most experimenters, as it would still be in the $300+ range. Proper buffering on a board would let one of the single chip models be viable.

---------------
From: Steve Bjork <6809er at bjork-huffman.net>

Described as "the Lego of gadgets" is not a CoCo, it could be turn into one.

This new "bug" modular computer has plug-in modules like screens,
keyboards, camera and even a GPS.

But the best part is the open source SKU (Software development) and
hardware is open too!.  That means anyone can create hardware and
software for it!

Starting at $299 it could be your CoCo in a pocket.

Link for more info:
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-13855_1-9845049-67.html?tag=bubbl_3
Website: http://www.buglabs.net/

--