[Coco] Coco drives single and double side question.

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 21:33:50 EST 2008

Perhaps we need to backtrack a little bit here. I am assuming you understand
that by doing a DIR 0 you access the first side of the disk and with a DIR 2
the opposite side right?. From your first message:

> DIR0 and DIR2 is for the same drive but can access different data.

"different data" comes out of running both commands because the CoCo
interprets those commands as the user accessing TWO different DRIVES, the
CoCo and it's RSDOS (the minimal disk operating system) doesn't know it's
accesing the same DISK - it doesn't care!

Now - and move slowly here because this can get confusing - from your last
message:

> I want is that DIR0 give me the same result as DIR2

The only way this can happen in your setup is if you BACKUP the contents of
the second side of the DISK (what you see with a DIR 2) into the first side
of the disk (the DRIVE 0). *THEN* you will get the same *result* from doing
a DIR 0 or DIR 2 on that *particular* disk.

I could be misinterpreting your intentions about the "same results". As I
noted before, if what you want is to just issue a DIR command and get the
directory of BOTH sides of the disk (a DIR 0 and DIR 2 in a single sweep),
that won't happen. You can 'fake it' writing a Basic program that reads both
directories and gives you a single listing, but even so, for the CoCo that
means it is accessing two different drives.

-=[ Rogelio ]=-

Well not exactly. What I want is that DIR0 give me the same result as DIR2.