[Coco] Copying a data/binary file from disk to cassette

Jean-Paul Samson jeanpaulsamson at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 4 13:35:40 EST 2008

>> Just a word of warning: I've never been able to get the Mac version of
>>DriveWire functional for CoCo-to-Mac transfers, although vice versa
>>works fine. The PC version of DriveWire works great, however, using
>>the built-in serial ports or an FTDI-chipset based USB-to-serial
>>converter.
>>

> Yes. DriveWire is super cool. I also use an FTDI based USB-to-serial
> cable.
>
> I'd love to hear more about your problems with the Mac server. It works
> fine here in every situation I use it with.

I've gone through a myriad of test scenarios, and I'm afraid both Boisy and I are stumped as to why I haven't been able to get DriveWire MacServer to function. As I mentioned, read operations from the Mac to CoCo work perfectly. That is, I can load programs from disk files hosted on the Mac. All write operations made to disk files attached to MacServer fail: DSKINI, COPY, BACKUP, etc. An initial write operation is issued by the CoCo to the server, and immediately a rash of reset and noop operations are transmitted, ending in an I/O ERROR on the CoCo.

I've tried two different CoCo 3's, two different USB-to-serial adapters (a Keyspan and an FTDI one), and three different Mac's (some Tiger, some Leopard). Same result on all of them. I've tried the terminal-based DriveWire from SourceForge--it can't even connect to the serial adapter. I've tried the FTDI adapter on a PC with Windows XP, and DriveWire works fine there.

So at this point there are three possibilities I can think of, in order of likelihood:
1. Neither adapter is compatible with DriveWire MacServer
2. The USB-to-serial drivers are incompatible with DriveWire MacServer
3. There is a bug in DriveWire MacServer

JP